Friday, August 17, 2012

YW Manual 1 Lesson 30



I remember when I was a young woman,  I absolutely dreaded service projects.  But as I have grown older I have learned to find joy in serving.  There are so many ways to serve others, a couple weeks ago during our sacrament meeting, the High Councilman spoke about the service that his family received from a woman in their ward. 

This man had been called into a bishopric when his family was still young,  5 children under 5 and 4 of them still diapered.  He described how a member of their ward, who had raised her family, would show up Sunday morning to help his young wife get the children ready for church and then help her during church.  You could tell that this act of service was very precious to him and something he will be grateful to this sister for a long time. 

Does service have to be something extravagant... no.  I find the best kind of service is delivered unexpectedly.   Opening a door for an elderly member who is fighting a walker or cane and the door.  A smile can turn someones day around.  

I have been fortunate enough to receive service from others that has touched me deeply.  I am so grateful for strangers on a roadside one hot Sunday afternoon who helped my young daughter and myself.  

I hope to be able to share the benefits of service to my class with this lesson, and pray the same for you. 

Kimberly.

No comments:

Post a Comment